1.What kind of organisation is Auroris Entertainment: is it a corporate venture, a not for profit organisation, or is it registered as a charity?
Auroris Entertainment is a limited company. It is registered in Canada. That means we pay taxes on any money we may earn. We are fully legal under the laws of Canada.
2. Along the same lines as the above, is Paypal going to remain as the only payment option you offer?
We are looking into accepting money by credit card in the near future. For now, PayPal is our method of accepting payment.
3. What is the refund policy of Auroris Entertainment?
We use the standard disclaimer that guests appear subject to work commitments. We will do everything in our power to reschedule the guest or arrange for another guest of similar stature to attend the convention if the first guest is unable to attend.
4. What Buyer Protection is available for attendees who use Paypal?
From Paypal’s website:
PayPal Buyer Protection covers eligible transactions for the full purchase price plus original shipping charges.
To qualify for PayPal Buyer Protection:
- Use PayPal to buy an eligible item.
- Pay for the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments aren’t eligible.
- Send your payment by clicking the Pay For It button on the invoice.
- Let the seller know there’s a problem with the transaction by opening a dispute in the Resolution Center within 45 days of making your payment. Then, escalate the dispute to a claim within 20 days of the date you opened the dispute.
- Keep your PayPal account in good standing.
5. What format will event tickets take – paper issued via snail-mail / e-tickets? And would the tickets be transferrable if for any reason something happened and I couldn’t attend due to work/ other commitments?
You will receive a proof of purchase by email. Bring that with you to STARCON with picture I.D. You will receive a lanyard with your ticket(s) at the convention.
6. The two charities to benefit from StarCon are the Burnaby Victim Service Program and the Vancouver Humane Society.
Is Auroris officially affiliated with either of these charities?
Do the charities endorse the event/ company?
Auroris Entertainment has been affiliated with Burnaby Victims Services for over 3 years. This charity assists the victims of crime. Many convention goers are from countries other than Canada. Since the victim services unit is affiliated with the R.C.M.P. (Mounties), they send a Canadian Mountie in uniform to meet our attendees. It’s a way to share Canadian heritage and culture with people from around the world. In return, we raise money to assist their endeavors. We are endorsed by the Burnaby Victims Services Unit.
The Vancouver Humane Society is a charity close to my own heart. I have been active with the Humane Society in my own region for the past 4 years. Since the convention is located in Vancouver, it seemed sensible to raise money for this charity that benefits homeless pets. An added bonus is that the Humane Societies in Canada do not euthanize pets in their care. Instead, they house them until homes can be found.
7. You mention that you need the money from ticket sales to pay the ‘talent’ – so does that mean the charities won’t receive money from ticket sales – just from other things like autos/ photos?
We will be holding an auction of sci-fi items to raise money for our charities. Also, a portion of the proceeds from the convention will go to the charities. Any money left over from expenses such as paying the talent and the venue will go to our charities.
8. Is there a special rate or discount for attendees with the event hotel? – I wish I had enough money to not care, I really do; but sadly the ticket for the Con itself is only one factor in my possible attendance! If flights and hotels were free I’d be a very happy camper:)
We have just reached an agreement with the convention hotel for a discount on rooms, plus, free parking, free internet in the rooms (A big deal for con attendees) and at least 10% off the hotel restaurant for food and drink.
We are also working on a 10 page convention program that will be given out to all attendees that will contain coupons for deals on meals at local restaurants!!
9. How will you handle security?
We will provide minimal security. That means that the talent will not be herded around like cattle. Security will be in the background and trained to deal with over enthusiastic fans. Security will also be easily identifiable to both fans and talent. Their role is to step in, if and when needed, but not be in your face.
As well, actors will be able to hang with the fans, but no one will be asked to do anything they are not comfortable doing. Not all fans are comfortable approaching the celebrities either. This is a relaxed convention, which means that people will be able to interact based on their own comfort level.